Sunday, March 2, 2008

Stateside vs. Abroad


¿Cree usted en Dios?

Sí.

¡Que bueno! Nosotros tambien. Sabemos que Dios es nuestro padre celestial. Somos son sus hijos. El nos ama.

There was something about speaking eternal truths in Spanish that made me very comfortable. I could share the gospel freely in Spanish. I recall a time during my mission when I reflected upon the words I was speaking. There was an American family we found...and I had to translate our message into English. It was fun...and HARD after speaking Spanish practically 24/7 for the past 14 months. But I thought about the words...and how I could not say the same thing in English to a stranger on a bus or in a store or at their doorstep. But it was comfortable in Spanish.

We had the Elders over last night for a quick message. They struggled with the English language. :) There were a few awkward moments. (i.e.: One Elder, upon learning we recently moved from Illinois, told us he has a sister in Indiana in the such and such stake. He asked if we knew the stake...he must be from Utah.) Their message revolved around the fact that missionaries aren't familiar with the area or people. That people don't trust the missionaries as much as they do their neighbors and friends. They shared the story of Alma and Amulek. And how so many were baptized once Amulek spoke because he was from around there and the people knew him. Then they posed the question how we could invite people into our home to receive missionary lessons.

We moved to Virginia in January...of this year. We don't know anyone. No one "trusts" us. The story of Amulek, while a great message, doesn't quite apply to our situation.

God bless these Elders. They're being obedient which isn't always easy to do.

I couldn't have done in Venezuela what these missionaries are doing in Virginia. I needed the language barrier...I needed the culture barrier...I needed it so different that fear would be the last thing from my mind. It was like an "out of body" experience. I was in a strange land speaking a strange language. Something high school the year before certainly didn't prepare me for.

Last night I was focusing on the fact that these Elders didn't "adapt" their message to meet our needs. My thoughts were focused on the fact that we just moved here.

Now, while writing this, I realize I am in a new "country" again and do not speak their "language." I certainly don't have the accent of the locals. And the culture is a bit different than the one I'm most familiar with in the midwest. So perhaps I can share the restored gospel here...and now.

God bless Elders Moa and Setser in the Rivanna Ward.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Great post David. I love to read about you thinking. I always learn something. Now "go share." :-)

Laurel said...

I love this, little brother. GREAT thought...
something tells me I would have been a better missionary in Venezuela (minus the cow intestines and giant cockroaches...yeah, nevermind. California was perfect for me!)