Friday, March 7, 2008

First Class, baby!

They confiscated my deodorant. Those darn security people. But I made it home today.

I made it through the checkpoint on 3 separate occassions...and the final time, after sitting on a plane for 2.5 hours, having the flight cancelled, crazily getting a rental car and hotel room (it really was kinda fun...especially since it will all be expensed to my company)...the final time I went through security, someone finally noticed my deodorant was 4 ounces. I acted surprised, but I knew. I think what made me mad was that I had gotten away with it 3 other times. Why was this time different? :) And it was so funny to me how this woman interpretted my 4 ounces of deodorant as a serious breach to our national security. Perhaps I'm not giving my deodorant the respect it deserves. (I'll stop now.)

I was extra nice to AA employees...mostly because the majority of them had their...I shouldn't say it. Let's just say some of the AA employees made me roll my eyes because they were so blatantly rude and unkind. Whatever happened to the, "I'm sorry our company has inconvienced you. We'll do our best to make things better" kind of service? So many adults these days are immature. I can only imagine what the rising generation will be like after witnessing "adult" behavior these days.

But the rude old women with frown wrinkles all over their faces and the consfiscated deodorant episode all but vanished...

As I sat in First Class on my 2 hour 14 minute flight home to Virginia.

I didn't even mind waiting 45 minutes on the tarmac as they de-iced our plane. I enjoyed it. I wasn't fighting for elbow space. I had my legs crossed (the "masculine" way) as I read the newspaper. I had a pleasant conversation with the passenger next to me. And it will be hard not to fly first class from now on!

The funny part is that I had no idea I had a seat in first class. I saw "FIRST" in bold print on my ticket when I checked in at the kiosk...but I figured that they bumped me to the first boarding group. I waited as they called first class passengers to board. I waited as they called for their premier members to board. I happily joined "group one" for boarding. I got on the plane. 6E...6E...where is 6E? I went right passed first class and saw 7 as the first row of seats in the main cabin.

I was confused.

I kept walking but knew the numbers only went up as you went further back on the plane. I held up the line and then had to crawl over people to get back to first class. I just smiled. And I texted Laurel to tell her I was in first class. I certainly couldn't call her to share my excitement. I didn't want the nicely-dressed lady next to me and the man in the expensive suit to my other side across the aisle to know I was a rookie. :) So I quietly expressed my excitement in text form.

Over 500 flights were cancelled last night out of Dallas. I wonder how many rookies were in first class on their flight home today?

James

I know this post is way long but I have to share one more thing.

I bought all of my kids little gifts in Texas. I remember my dad always bringing something home from his business trips and how excited I was as a kid.

So I handed the gifts out. I got James a baseball cap with Texas on it (not affiliated with any sports teams). James loves hats and he looks adorable in them. I handed the baseball cap to him. He literally threw it do the floor, told me he didn't want it, and ran upstairs crying.

James is 4. It hurt a little, but I'm a big boy and got over it. I figured it was just an age thing.

But tonight as I tucked them in to bed, James was wearing his hat. And he told me, "I like my hat. It makes me think of you when you're not here."

I like James. It's good to be home.

6 comments:

Mom said...

flying is a pain in the you know what. Glad that you made it home alright first class no less.
Kids are so special, that is why we have them, right?

The reviewers said...

Congrats on flying first class, I would be excited too... good call on "texting" instead of calling :)I hope I would have tought it through and not looked like a nerd for being so excited, cause I would have probably called.HEHE

My parent's always brought us home gifts when we were little too. And now that we are older, we still hope for gifts when they go on trips:) Glad you made it back to your cute family!

Laurel said...

Once you fly first class, you can't ever go back with the "commoners"...it's rough.

Oh, and as for James...he did the same thing to me at Christmas. But I had to give him something different before he liked it.
That James...he's so dramatic...SO unlike his Aunt Laurel

Elaine said...

Oh dear James. However will we figure him out? He is such a cutie. I was there when he did the same thing to Laurel. Sure a good thing she had an alternate gift. Glad you got to do the first class thing. Were there hot towels? Did you remember to wipe your face with it?:-) What a cool, cool guy my little boy grew up to be. Glad you're home safely!

Anonymous said...

You actually could have called Laurel on the phone. Everyone knew you were a rookie, first class and everyone in coach, because you passed up the first class cabin when you boarded. It's not easy being green:)

Sarah said...

Aw, James. That is a cute story. I'm glad he relented and decided he likes the hat. :)