Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The significance of Butterflies

George Washington Carver stated that "Science is simply a study of God's creations."


All things testify that there is a God...even caterpillars.


I learned something very interesting on my way into work yesterday. If only scientists knew what they were proving.


There was a study done recently at Georgetown University to see if butterfiles could remember what they learned as caterpillars.


The experiment: scientists would shock older caterpillars whenever it approached an area with a certain gas (I can't remember the gas they used). They did this something like 8 times a day over a period of time. The caterpillars learned not to go near the gas.


During metamorphosis, the caterpillar literally turns to mush as it transforms. Everything about the caterpillar changes as it becomes a butterfly. In addition to the obvious physical change, its diet changes and its sensory cues change.


Outcome: the butterfly is then given an opportunity to go into a container with fresh air or with the gas used in the experiment. The butterfly wants nothing to do with the gas container.


It remembers.


And so can we...


I know that we lived with our Heavenly Parents before our mortal bodies were conceived. I know that our intelligence is eternal...that our spirits were formed...and that we were taught incredible lessons in our First Home. I know that our minds and spirits, despite the trauma of a physical birth, have the ability to remember those things we were taught. I know that as we strive to live heavenly standards, those lessons will come to our remembrance and we will be strengthened in this life and our experiences here on earth will be enhanced.


We truly are immortal spiritual beings having a mortal experience. What an exciting time for us! We have these senses we've never had, we have a physical body to learn to take care of, and we have so much in this life that reminds us of our heavenly home and testifies there is a God. And He loves us.


Thank you scientists at Georgetown who have given me one more reason to believe in God and the eternal principles I have been taught.

6 comments:

Laurel said...

I needed this tonight. I didn't need to have to read it twice to get it (i'm tired, cut me some slack!), but I needed it. LOVE the analogy and LOVE your insight.
Man...you are deep. where did that come from?

Jill Manning said...

Hey David, this is your cousin Jill. I found your blog through Laurel's blog and she said that we had to come a check out your latest blog and I am so glad that I did! You have touched on something that I love to study and think about a lot. Have you read Elder Maxwell's book, "These Too Shall Give Thee Experience?" The first few chapters touch on this exactly and he puts it all together so beautifully! Happy blogging and keep the insights coming!

Elaine said...

That's my little boy--all grown up and wonderfully good. Thanks for the reminder this morning. It will be a good day now. So grateful for the privilege of being your mom. Love to all the family. Can't wait to see you next month.

Mom said...

It is so nice to know that we have deep thinkers in our family. It is so nice to have you in our family Dave. Thank you for all you do for Karen and the kids.
Know that we love and appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

It would be a wonderful thing if I could get the credit for your thought process but as everyone knows, you brought it with you from our pre-earthly experience. Very impressed. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Sarah said...

I love it. That was exactly what I needed this morning. Thank you for sharing!