Thursday, March 6, 2008

Howdy from Dallas

It's Thursday night...and I'm not home. :(

Of all the times for Dallas to get snow, today should not have been the day. And the snowfall set records all over the area. Downtown Dallas only saw 1 inch of snow (which was a record) but surrounding areas received up to 9.5 inches. So I'm here one more night...hopefully no more.

I got out of my meetings early today so I rushed to the airport and got confirmed seating on an earlier flight. Yea! The flight was scheduled to depart at 1:50. We began boarding at 2:30 (not bad). At 3:30 our crew finally made it to our plane. At 4:00 they began to bring the beverage cart down the aisle. At 4:30 our pilot commented that today was a day we would need to exercise some patience. Finally, at 5:00 (keep in mind we had been in the plane since 2:30 without leaving the gate) our flight was cancelled. There was significant snow fall, freezing temperatures, and the Dallas-Fort Worth airport only has ONE de-icer. We were number 49 in line and the wait was over 4 hours. So we were invited off the plane and then the real fun began of racing all the other travelers to the rental car area and frantically calling hotels for a room!

I was ok staying one more night until Karen told me about Peter. He was sitting on Karen's lap tonight...no desire to eat...and repeating over and over, "Dadda hmmm...Dadda hmmm." Hmmm is his way of saying home. Each time he said that, Karen said his bottom lip stuck out and started to quiver.

HOW SAD IS THAT?!?

So now I really want to get home. Fifteen minutes ago I didn't have a confirmed seat until Saturday morning. I've been calling the 1-800 number relentlessly and now have a confirmed seat tomorrow morning. But I just heard on the news that the airport has cancelled 60 flights tomorrow morning. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I miss my family.

What was your worst travel experience ever? Share with us! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In over 30 years of traveling, I have only had 1 unscheduled layover at night. Not bad. However, I always have the flight number before and after my scheduled flight just in case something goes wrong. I also have two corporate hotel 800#'s in my phone so I can get help fast. I really feel most sad for Peter. You are on your own, silly guy.

Mom said...

Our first vacation. When I have written the story down I will send it and you can enjoy it.

The reviewers said...

Oh man that is a complete bummer!!! It is hard to top that one :) Man and I had a cruise planned for the carribean back in 05' and as we were boarding the plane they had major hurricane warnings where we were planned to be. We could have still boarded the plane, but Matt didn't feel right about it. I was pregnant and just started crying like a baby :) I wanted a "beach" vacation so bad, but if we would have boarded we would have been stuck on the ship the entire time, and our cruise was cut short by like 4 days. Matt knew best! At least we got a full refund!!! Hope you make it home soon, give us an update!!! we'll pray for your little family! (sorry so long)