Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Who Shot John?

So we live in Virginia. And there are different accents all around us. I haven't noticed anyone with a deep southern accent...it's mostly the sophisticated, chivalrous southern accent--very polite and proper. I love it. But not everyone has a southern accent. In the particular community we live, tons of older couples have relocated from New York. And the "Yankees" always have something to say about the Southeners. It makes for good conversation. Being from the mid-west, I get to play the neutral party and just enjoy the conversations. And then there are others who have some strange mutated accent or no accent at all. It's quite a mix.

So one of my employees was filling me in on who does what and when around here. He came to a point in the conversation when he couldn't recall someone's name. He hesitated...stuttered...searching for the name and it wouldn't come. What do you say when you can't think of someone's name? What's the phrase that comes to mind?

You know, what's his name.

That's the phrase I've always used.

Well, we here in the Old Dominion don't use that phrase. If you can't think of someone's name in a conversation, the proper way to address that person is "Who Shot John."

You know, who shot John.

Oh.

The phrase caught me so off guard I laughed right out loud. I love Virginia!

Charlottesville is an absolutely beautiful city at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Anyone who wants to visit is welcome! We live right behind The Monticello - Thomas Jefferson's home. You can't miss us!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I so don't get this.
I just don't.
It's funny but I'm not sure why!

Anonymous said...

So I'd love an explanation. Did you ask for one? It came from somewhere. What a hoot! That's exactly why I think it's fun to move around. The world has so much "stuff" out there to discover. .....grandma "c"

Sarah said...

I think that would catch me off guard, too! I did a little googling (as I am wont to do) and found this on Urban Dictionary:
"who-shot-john: Southern for same old thing (As in same old who-shot-john)."
This is what Wiktionary had to say: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/who_shot_John

It's a longish blurb so I just included the link. Anyway, glad to know you guys are enjoying Virginia!