Sunday, February 3, 2008

Stuck in the Subconcious

We have been blessed with many things by moving to Virginia. One would be the 40 minute drive to and from church each Sunday. During that blissful time we get to hear some rather amusing quips between siblings. Today for example gave us two noteworthy ones. James and Anya share the back seat of the van and because of that there are squabbles from time to time. While I often ignore the details of what is going on, when it gets loud and voices get strained I usually intervene. Something was going on today that had to do with Anya being very goofy, in a not so cute kind of way, and was getting James indignantly upset. When he got fully fed up he simply held up his drawing from Primary and told Anya to, "Talk to the Paper!" The inflection of his voice was hilarious, this coming from a four year old! David and I then intervened and asked Anya to calm it down a little bit. After asking about three or four more times she told us that she would "try" to calm down but she wasn't sure that she could. Before David even got his mouth open Mark took the words right out of it (verbatim) and told her, "Don't try, Anya, just do it!" Another of those charming moments when we are reminded of how often we must say certain phrases. It seems, though I have no scientific proof, that if you repeatedly tell a child something it will not register in their concious thought, but will become embedded in their unconcious minds. Once there it will be called on to remind others of proper behavior, but will be totally absent when the child could use it to correct themselves. I am sure that covers my Pysch 101 for the year right?! Happy Sabbath.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

So, which one of you says "Talk to the paper"...that's what I want to know?
I love hearing all the "out of the mouth of babes" in your family.
CLASSIC!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I'm thinking I know where the "don't try--do it" came from but I'll never tell. If we could only all see ourselves early. Oh well. I tried:-)