Saturday, February 23, 2008

Do Re Mi...

Karen and I woke up to the clank of a toy piano this morning. And it was quite good. We heard it begin on C...go up the scale...and come back down again. Over and over. And over and over. But it wasn't obnoxious. I was happy to know that one of our children had rhythm and and an ear to go up and down the scale. Then the music stops and all we hear is, "PETER!!!" Karen got up, sorted things out, and James was happy again.

James brought the toy piano into our room and began playing again. But he wanted Daddy to sing along.

OK.

I started singing with the notes James was playing: "hmm hmm hmm hmm... "

"Noooooooooo" (imagine the up and down of the no as James jumps up and down without leaving the floor). "That's not how you should do it! Sing along, Daddy!!!"

OK.

"La la la la la...."

"Noooooooooo. That's not how you should do it!"

"C D E F G..."

"Noooooooooo..."

Good thing Mom was around. She suggested the Do Re Mi.

James smiled...he was happy.

But remember that James was going up AND down. I knew I wasn't very good coming back down, but I thought I could wing it.

"Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do Ti La So Re Mi Re Do." I was close...but James picked up on it.

"Noooooooooooo!!! Daddy!!!!!!"

"James, I don't know it backwards. I tried but it's really hard."

"Daddy!!! I wasn't going backwards!!!"

I knew I couldn't win. So I decided to put it on the blog while James slowly forgets about it. Eventually, he will come downstairs...laughing and playing and forgetting about Dad's lack of ability to sing along properly.

Ahhh to be four again. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where on earth did he learn that? Has he been watching Sound of Music? Can't wait to see where this goes. Cute James!

Mom said...

The joys and pleasures of parenthood.
I miss it sometimes.