Monday, February 11, 2008

But. . . .

If I had a penny for everytime that word was put in front of mom or dad, well I would have a substantial sum. Not that I am not guilty of using that in my own childhood, because I know I am. As dear Mark is a somewhat contradictory child (no idea where that came from) he uses this a lot when beginning an argument, usually with me, fancy that! Last night when David and I went to check on the kids before we went to bed, it was about 10:30pm, that fateful word was applied again. One would think that a seven year old boy, who had been put to bed at 7pm (since there have been too many late-gamecube-nights recently) would maybe be at least drowsy by 1030pm. Not so! I went first to put Peter's pjs back on him, he is going through that two year old power struggle of he knows how to undress so he does it, even if he freezes. David first went to Mark since was still awake. Then David patted James and Peter and left the room. So I went to say good night to Mark and looking at him I knew he was hiding something. Covers pulled up to his chin with his hands no where in sight. This child would not sleep with his hands covered when he was a day old! I lifted the covers to reveal his straightarmed hands clutching a dum dum pop. He responds with, "AWW, BUT Dad didn't see it!" Well, feeling quite full of my mothering knowledge I replied that he could pull things on Dad that didn't work on me. So I took it and left the room. I went to our room to show David what he had missed when he tucked Mark in. David was standing there swinging a small flashlight and holding Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic. hhmm. Want to guess where he got those?! David asked me how I missed them, so I explained that I hadn't checked on Mark before he did. So I showed him the dum dum I had retrieved. Well, we both had a good laugh about our somewhat sneaky little boy and I once again half wished for dumb kids. Notice that I said half wished, not really, but sometimes their little brains really tire me out. Happy Monday to all!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Try nine of those smart little things. You will survive it all. I think that I did.

Laurel said...

correction, Mom. You only had ONE smart kid...that could do a number on you.
That would be David.
Turn around is fair play.

GO MARK GO!!