Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Peter Speaks, sort of

Peter is our darling 2 1/2 year old boy who for reasons beyond our knowledge doesn't really talk. He has learned to say things like mama, and dada, and hippo, along with snippets of other words like hm, for home, or nya, for Anya. Most of the time we understand what he wants or needs just with his gesture and trademark umgaga.

However, more recently we are finding that his need to communicate with us is getting stronger and yet he still seems unable to make that cute little mouth do what he wants it to. I can sit and read a book to him, he will point to an animal on the page and I will say what it is. He very intently watches my mouth, his little mouth will open a little and it seems as if he is trying to decide if he can make that sound. Most of the time he just replies, with a ya(yes) and a nod.

I have been advised by more than one mom to try and teach him ASL. I tried. He looked at me like I was way off my rocker. I gave up. Then I got re-inspired and checked some dvds out of the library. Now I have three kids who holler, mom, mom! look! and then make really cute uh noises in their throats as they sign to me what they want.

Then there is my darling Peter. He really has enjoyed the videos and I kept encouraging him to sign to me what he needs, but he was resistant to the idea and hung on tight to his gaga, and ya, no responses. (why is it that of all the words a child masters no seems to be the most common and the clearest? :)) Then just this week, things started to change. He took me to the fridge, I opened it and he started his regular umgaga, and pointed to the juice. He's only allowed juice once a day and he had already had it so I replied, No, you can have water or milk, which one do you want. He then began tapping his finger on his chin to sign water. At first it was just one finger and I didn't understand, but then I realized that he was using sign to communicate what he wanted without my prompting him.

He has done it twice today, to tell me about a ball and about some toy apples that Anya has in her room. On one hand it seems like such a small thing, but for Peter and me it is opening up a whole new world. I am not sure I can express how exciting it is for me to have him communicating with me. It's one of those yes! victory moments that we parents get to have every now and then. I just wanted to share my joy with everyone.

7 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks you for sharing. I am, right along with you, very excited about. It is a great step forward for him.
Don't you just love those victory moments? They are the best.
Keep up the good work.

Cheryl said...

I so understand your feelings! At 3, Ben could pretty much make animal noises, say mama and dada, and everyone else was yaya. Sign language is so great to bridge that frustration gap, and I'm glad to hear it is opening some doors. Good luck!

Sarah said...

That is wonderful! I don't have direct experience with this, but I know that it is so nice to be able to communicate, whatever the method, with a little guy who wants so badly to express himself. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I don't care if he talks or not. I just love to hear him say ya, hm and watch him nod. What a special young man. I feel your excitement and I am happy to see you enjoy some success. He will do just fine. Besides, like I said last night, Mom's are always right.

Elaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elaine said...

It's those little victories that make up most of life. How I love little Peter! And his Mom!

The Olsen Clan said...

Yea! We are big advocates of sign. My fav vid is a Baby Einstein "First Signs". A&E love it and it did help us with communication. Congrats on patience paying off!