Friday, July 4, 2008

Ode to Erin

Not really...but it got your attention, right? She's my newest old friend. And by old, I mean I've known her for like 10-15 years but she was my sister's friend. Now that we're both adults, I suppose it's time to be friends. Partly because we're freakishly similar in odd ways. And that's what makes it fun. I don't know what it is, but something has clicked recently...so here's my shout out to Erin!

I remember a trip to Utah. I was still in high school...maybe my junior year. And I thought I was so cool because I was hanging out with college kids. I remember riding in a car with Erin and Heidi and a couple other guys. I don't know where my sister was and why we got split up. But the car I was in went to Subway and then we headed over to an outdoor concert. It was somewhere in the Provo area. Erin and Laurel...do you remember any of this? I don't know why I remember a detail like eating at Subway...but it's been engrained in my head and I remember having a really good time.

And she tagged me...so here goes:

3 Joys
Early morning fog
Practical jokes
Spiritual ah-hah moments

3 Fears
Spiders (of course)...but not the small ones anymore. And by small, I mean the ones that are so small you can't tell if they're a spider or a regular house bug until you get really close.
Walking up the stairs at night when all the lights are off. I know someone is walking right behind me!
Sharing the Gospel and admitting I'm a political conservative with a group of strangers

3 Goals
Weighing 180 again
Camping out next to Emerald Lake on top of Mt. Timp and enjoying the stars at night while talking with my closest friends
Enjoying the eternities with my family

3 Current Obsessions/Collections
Laziness (sad, isn't it?)
Minesweeper (I don't think I can beat my best scores anymore...they're pretty darn good!)
Wanting to get into the habit of reading good books

3 Random Surprising Facts About Myself
I'm always up for a good musical - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singing In The Rain, High School Musical (can't wait to see 3...with the kids, of course!), Phantom of the Opera, Newsies, Enchanted, etc. etc. etc.
I'm dramatic - case in point...I had a crush on a girl named Emma in 4th grade while living in Kentucky. She was blonde and from England. The subdivision we lived in butted up against another subdivision but there was no connecting road...just a line of trees and a small dirt path I would ride my bike on to get to the other side. For some reason I thought Emma lived in the other subdivision. So I went on the dirt path...right in the middle of the two subdivisions...and screamed as loudly as I could, "I LOVE YOU, EMMA!!!!!!" Needless to say, I can be dramatic.
I killed 3 Anoles before realizing what I was doing wrong. I thought they needed light at night so I placed my reading lamp over their container. Turns out my reading lamp fried them. I still feel guilty about it. I can't imagine the slow and painful death that the reading lamp caused. I had some friends over and we held a funeral service. They're buried under my parents deck in St. Charles.


I tag...Jay, Kristy, Julie, Sarah, and Steph (yes...you cousin!)


Happy Birthday America!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

YOU are funny. SO FUNNY. And I'm not even jealous that Erin tagged you...but if you were a reader of MY blog, you would have seen I already tagged Steph.

The anoles story is fall-off-the-chair funny...and I'm going to be sure to follow you up stairs w/ the lights off

Anonymous said...

I left a comment yesterday... not sure why it didn't save...

Here is to new, old friends.

Love the laziness and the fact that you can admit your last fear. Need a good book? Start with To Kill a Mockingbird. One of my favorites.

Steph said...

Hey cous, as Laurel said, she got me first, but I am honored that you would choose me. (sigh) You'll have to beat her next time. I'm hoping to see you when you come to Utah. And I want you to meet my husband too, he's pretty cool, even Laurel thinks so.