Thursday, July 3, 2008

My New Gotta Have

It's hot outside.

It was pleasant at 10 am when we went to ward playgroup at the local playgroud.
(Though Ward Playgroup is a lame name since we are usually the ones there)

We had a nice time swinging, playing, etc. Mark, Anya and James have gotten into the habit of bringing one toy each with them to the park. Usually Woody and Jessie are the top picks. Today was no exception.

The boys were playing nicely on the playset, which is the thing you climb on with all the slides attached, and by playing nicely I mean that no one was screaming or crying. I was a good distance away when I saw Mark standing on the highest platform throw Woody up into the nearby tree. And there he stayed. Mark came running over with a great story about how he slipped and almost fell and Woody fell out of his hand and got stuck in a tree.

Ok, really people! Even if I was only a babysitter who had not seen what happened, I wouldn't believe that story! So naturally I informed him that I had seen what really happened and he tried to hide his I am so guilty and busted grin while explaining that He and James were pretending that their toys were getting hurt and needing rescuing.

For those of you who have not seen the trees here, this was previously a logging forest and there are no tree branches below about 10 feet. So you can imagine that this toy was pleasantly high up wrapped very nicely around a small branch. I thought surely this was the end for Woody, but unfortunately I remembered our lightbulb changer we just purchased to change light bulb in the garage. It telescopes up to 11 feet long. I had to extend it the whole way in order to reach the toy and knock him out of the tree. The other parents probably thought I was a real nut job.

I am afraid I will have much more use for this new tool than simply changing lightbulbs.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

What a fun story. Of course Mark wasn't going to tell you they were rescuing their troubled toys. Who would believe a story like that? Thanks for taking the time to share the fun of the morning.

Anonymous said...

Mark and James. What a hand full. And to think, you have 2 more watching and planning. I'm glad you are in it for the long run. What cute grandchildren.

Laurel said...

Um, she has THREE more watching and planning.

For the record, Karen, this story makes you the best mom ever!