Monday, July 28, 2008

P-New-moan-ya

It's official, the chest x-rays are in! David has Pneumonia. He is on an antibiotic and is resting. In the meantime . . . Peter still has Strep Throat, but is being very good about taking his medicine from a baby eyedropper just like a little bunny. In between dosing my two sick bunnies, I am trying to get some cleaning and laundry done while keeping the natives quiet enough to David can rest.

Escapades of Mark
It has been quiet. A little too quiet. So I went to investigate. I found them all in the boys bedroom with the door closed. I opened the door and saw Mark shove something under the covers on his bed. I walked over and pulled back the covers to see his Leapster. How odd I thought. I reminded him that it's ok for him to be playing Leapster right now since it's the afternoon. Then Peter reached farther under the covers and pulled out the cell phone. Busted! Mark had been getting online with the cell phone and playing a Wall E game. I think he knows more about that cell phone than I do. Of course this comes on the heels of him purchasing a movie download on Amazon barely a week ago for Xmen. This child has been testing me since he was born and everyday brings new challenges. I keep reminding myself to focus his creative skills in a useful direction, but today, I'm too tired to focus me!

That was Mark's naughty side. Here is a sample of his angelic side.
Last night I went to check on the kids like I do every night. (Background: In devotional with the kids I read a chapter or two from the BoM everyday and we were supposed to start Jacob 5 today (which we didn't cuz we had to take Daddy to the doctor) and i had explained how Jacob 5 was long and I wanted to spend time explaining what it was about to them, so we planned to spend at least two days on it.) Most nights I find at least one child not asleep and this night it was Mark. I found him in bed with a flashlight and a book. Now what do you suppose this devilish seven year old was reading? Magic Treehouse? Star Wars? No. The Book of Mormon. More specifically Jacob 5. When I checked on him he it had been about an hour since I had shushed him last and he had been reading that whole time. He begged me to let him finish the last four verses of the chapter. What could I do? I let him finish and went to tell David about it. A few minutes later Mark comes down to our room to explain it all to us. Apparently he started reading and he didn't get what he was reading, so he decided to pray for Heavenly Father to help him understand. After that he told us he understood what the chapter was about and how the bad branches got burned and the good branches had fruit. Then he happily scampered off to bed.

Umm, SWISH! Score a point for the Good Side! I love when I can look back and see that Mark's right choices are getting better and his wrong choices are getting milder. This boy is certainly going to keep me on my toes, intellectually and spiritually. What a weekend!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I can't even stand how much I love Mark's "good side". Hear me now, believe me later...you two have NO idea who you are raising in that one.
love you guys.
(even the sickie)

Elaine said...

Some parents would pay (maybe some do) to have their seven year old read the Book of Mormon. What a little warrior! We love him and we love all of you. Get that big warrior better now....maybe Mark could help me figure out my cell phone:-)

Elaine said...

P.S. What a clever, clever title for this post. I'm impressed.