Sunday, June 22, 2008

Suicidal Squirrel

My first one. I'm 30 years old and I have successfully avoided the dreadful thump of running over a live animal...until today.

My hand was over my mouth for a solid mile before I could acknowledge what had actually happened.

It all happened so fast...I didn't see it coming...ok I did, but it was early in the morning and my reflexes weren't up to par yet. But it did happen fast.

I watched in my rear view mirror as the squirrel, although dead or dying, did an impressive acrobatic role 3 times.

Until today, I wondered why there were so many dead squirrels on the road and how someone could possibly hit one.

My theory is that they are suicidal. I think they sit in trees or along the side of the road and dare each other to run across the street just as a car is coming. Poor little squirrel. He was so close to making it to the other side...so close.

It was a sickening thump. I'm glad it wasn't a deer.

5 comments:

Laurel said...

i always wondered what a cold blooded killer looked like...wow...you're not at all what I imagined.

Poor squirrel.
Poor family of the squirrel.

tragic.

Whacky Wheelers said...

I once hit an overpass on a small road before even thinking of hitting the squirrel. My husband saw the car and said, "Next time . . . hit the squirrel." I still try to brake and so far . . . knock on wood . . . all squirrels are safe in Illinois.

Anonymous said...

Husbands unite. Hit anything in the road that will not cause a dent in the car if you hit it. My wife stills feels sick about hitting a dog in the road. Her other option was to hit the 3 children next to the dog. Nice work David. Squirrels clean my peach tree every August. Squirrel parents, their children, grandparents and cousins.

Elaine said...

But he DID "make it to the other side" David. Get it? He is now in squirrel heaven--a much happier place, right? Fun post.

The Olsen Clan said...

My first experience was a bunny at 55 miles an hour. My heart felt like it was on fire for at least 24 hours. It was traumatizing. Only recently - a suicidal sparrow. I actually got out to see if there were guts on the grill. None. So I'm pretty much in denial that the bird was even harmed. (animal heaven has to be better than this place - right?!)