Friday, April 11, 2008

Traditional Indian Vests

For an activity to learn about Native Americans we made vests today. Since I was fresh out of skins, we had to use brown paper bags. The kids had a good time and with very little explanation as to what they could decorate with, they came up with some very meaningful stuff.
James went for the very powerful circles of doom. (ok, really he is five and has little patience for these kinds of things) Still he was a very cute strong man.


Anya was a little more detailed in her decorations. She included illustrations from a book titled "Ten Apples Up On Top" on one side and the other front section has a drawing of the Godhead with some stars. (She got the book idea from Mark, but the rest was all her).






Mark was the one who started everyone drawing scenes from the apples book which is depicted on the left of the picture. The right side of his vest is a rendition of the first vision. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but very cool that he thought to do that. (Mark also included his version of the gamecube on the back, which is apparently just as important to him as the stuff on the front. ahh, seven year olds.)
I must say how happy I am when they surprise me this way. It's a little bolstering up for the days when they are less attentive. This reminds me that I am actually not the only one who hears me talking. On some level they are getting it and I am thrilled. There is nothing better than seeing them learn and express themselves.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Sunday School lesson is on the effect Jacob's FHE lessons had on his son Enos(vs 1-4) Kids just pick up important things parents teach without knowing it. Somehow they apply these bits of knowledge later and when they have a need to remember. You are doing a wonderful job with my grand children. How can I ever thank you.

Elaine said...

It is SO good to see pictures of the kids and I'm so pleased that they are thinking about very important things--and lesser things which are very important in their growing up process. I loved that you said you were "fresh out of skins." Now that's funny. Don't know if anyone else caught that but I did. I love your humor. And I love your willingness to teach your children. Carry on! We love you all.

Laurel said...

this post got me on Delta.com faster than anything else. Not sure how I'm going to make this work but don't be surprised when I just show up at your door step!!

Mom said...

Their's look a lot like your's did. It is so fun to see the next generation doing the same good things.
Yes, I caught the "fresh out of skins" and was to glad to know that the neighbors cats and dogs are still around. Also any cows in the area.
Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

i loved it.

Wendy said...

It is refreshing to see this kind of thing. I wish, sometimes, that I had the get-up to homeschool all of mine. Eva is reading fairly well and Jesse knows all his letters and sounds and puts small words together. But the boys are doing so well in school and Elias socially that is doesn't seem right to take them out now. Oh well.