Sunday, April 27, 2008

Christensen Sunday Reflections

Here's two:

It's kind of fun to have an "excuse" to peek during prayers. It's called being a parent. And I enjoy the freedom. The beauty of it is...if I'm caught, the person who caught me can't say anything...because they shouldn't have their eyes open either.

But when you have five kids...and one is them is two years old...it's so rewarding to see how obedient and reverent young children can be. I love watching Peter fold his arms and keep his eyes closed. I love how, on occasion, our children keep their eyes closed but continue to blindly continue the activity they were doing prior to the prayer. And I love it when James squishes one eye so he can open the other and see if anyone is watching.

I love their innocence...their obedience...their pure faith...their example.

Kids are great!
=============

On a lighter topic...it happened several weeks ago. But I was reminded of the event and had to share.

Do you know the song, Beautiful Girls? Sean Kingston sings it and it's a horrible song! But it's got one of those catchy tunes. And we listened to it whenever it came on the radio. It's hard to understand the words so we figured the kids weren't picking up on all of it. Then Mark asked what "suicidal" meant.

So we explained it on their level and kept it basic...it means someone is sad. They were satisfied with that. We don't listen to the song anymore. Haven't heard it in probably 4-6 months.

Testimony meeting March 2008. It was a mediocre meeting. Nothing really special. Unfortunately, someone's cell phone went off. And there was a 10 second delay for the owner of the cell phone to turn it off. Very irreverent. I rolled my eyes. The tune was Beautiful Girls. C'mon people!

As Anya(6) was reading the Illustrated Stories of the Book of Mormon, she and the boys subconsciously chimed in, "suicidal, suicidal." I recall Mark(7) looking up at me and smiling.

No family is perfect.

Happy Sabbath!

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Okay, that was disturbingly funny. Thanks for sharing.

(BTW, is it bad to peak even if you're NOT a parent? I do that sometimes too...)

Anonymous said...

Hey David, this is your cousin Michelle--remember me? I love reading your blog and wish we lived closer so I could get to know your cute wife and kids better. Thanks for making me smile!

Whacky Wheelers said...

I have to share a funny with you . . . Susan Anderson was telling me when her son Garrett was little . . . his mind would kind of wander. They were sitting down for dinner and Garrett was blessing the food. He got half way through and then just stopped. Eventually everyone looked up. He forgot what he was doing and was watching the television! They had a tiny tv that came out for General Conference or special sport events. Apparently someone turned down the sound instead of turning the tv off.

You have great kids!!

Elaine said...

And everytime I read something like this, I try to remember--remember how I felt and what I did as the mom of little ones. If I could, I would recall those days and savor every moment--even the ones when I made mistakes. God bless the little ones of the world. Keep loving yours and helping them. You're doing a great work!

Anonymous said...

I opened my eyes during your family prayer last Saturday just to see what Peter was doing. My heart is happy to see how you have helped him learn. His arms were folded and his eyes were closed. Thanks.