Wednesday, December 3, 2008

God is Good

Normally, I would write something like this on the other blog. But this has to do with family. So I hope you don't mind that I take up the space here.

Julie Christley Shelton is one of my dearest cousins. We "found" each other while we were both growing up in St. Louis. We're related through the Crowley line on my mom's side. I think we're officially 2nd cousins (but I've never figured out how all that works). I think we met for the first time our sophomore or junior year. We became instant friends...practically brother and sister. We went out on double dates, we stayed up late talking, we hung out, we shared hopes and dreams...we experienced a lot together in a short period of time. We hooked up again in Salt Lake this past summer for the first time in about 10 years.

Julie and I are the same age. Her dad had a massive heart attack yesterday and passed away early this morning. I want to share two small miracles that are evidence of the Lord's kindness in our greatest time of need.

Ashley is the youngest Christley and her wedding was originally scheduled for December 2008. There were some scheduling conflicts so they decided to move the wedding date to November 2008...two weeks ago. Gil Christley was able to witness his daughter's wedding. And the family was together...celebrating life. God knew what would happen yesterday. I'm convinced He had a hand in rescheduling the wedding.

Karen and I used to live in Columbia, Missouri. We lived there for 4 years from 2001-2005. We made wonderful friends while we lived there. One member of our church, Dean Hainsworth, is an ophthalmologist at the university hospital there in Columbia. Gil lives in St. Louis but was working in Kirksville, MO when he had the heart attack. Because he was in Kirksville, he was life-flighted to the nearest hospital...the university hospital in Columbia. I don't know how it happened, but Dean was there at the hospital and a connection was made that they both knew David Christensen. Dean administered a priesthood blessing to Gil. The family was comforted.

God is Good. The Lord is very kind. He knows us. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Matthew 7:11

May we ever be mindful that God has His hand in our life. He surely is blessing us each day. And He is preparing us for that which is to come. May we open our hearts to understand His ways.

God bless the Christley's in their time of need. God bless my sweet cousin Julie.

This is my newest favorite song and the words seemed fitting.

The Call - Regina Spektor

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh David, what beautiful thoughts. The Christleys are a blessing in our lives--so good, so loving. When I think of Gil I see a huge smile on a very kind face. The world will miss him!

Laurel said...

Super sweet post, little brother. I know this could be us and I count everyday we have with dad as a gift. I LOVE the blessing at the hand of your friend. Very very cool.