Monday, December 8, 2008

A new rule

If you are not asleep by 9:00 PM you will be removed from your bed and clean the house.

Karen instituted this new rule yesterday. And I gotta say, I got a kick out of it! :)

Our kids go down between 7-8 at night. Even after "going to bed," we allow them time to read a little. But it has gotten out of hand...and many times they will still be up and chattering at 10 PM. So Karen has put her foot down. If only you could have been a fly on our wall last night.

9:04 and the kids were chattering with no sign of stopping. I was sitting at the computer and I heard kids stomping down stairs to start in the kitchen (fortunately for them the dishes had already been done); then they moved to the family room; then they moved upstairs. A little after 9:30 PM it grew quiet. They didn't quite finish cleaning their rooms, but they were tired. Within minutes of climbing back into bed, they were asleep.

Classic! I LOVE Karen's discipline techniques. We'll see what happens tonight...

6 comments:

Elaine said...

I'm waiting for the rest of the story:-)

Mom said...

Why didn't I think of that one. It sounds like it should work well. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Anonymous said...

why is it that bed is the last place they want to go and the last place they want to get out of once they are there? its a funny thing.

I like this idea and technique. curious to see how it works for you.

The Peters Family said...

Genious!

The Olsen Clan said...

That is AWESOME!! We have started taking away "blankies" and removing the privacy of a closed door. So far it is effective, but I love this idea!

Laurel said...

for the record, this just might be my favorite idea Karen has ever come up with.