Monday, December 22, 2008

Bethlehem Village

I think it was Friday afternoon when a friend from our ward called and invited us to go with them to Bethlehem Village on Monday night for FHE. They have two kids who are the same ages as two of ours so it sounded like a lot of fun.

As usual, we sat down to eat breakfast this morning and I briefly went over the scheduled plans for the day with the kids. I told them about where we were planning to go tonight and Mark informed me that Dad had already spilled the beans. However he had not provided details, so Mark, Anya and James were all under the impression that we would be traveling Santa Claus style to the other side of the world and back home tonight. They thought we were visiting the REAL Bethlehem Village. Cute, I know. I kindly corrected them and then sweet little James shared his relief.

James: It's good we aren't going to the real Bethlehem.
Mom: Why is that?
James: (very quietly and serious) Because if we were going to the real Bethlehem, King Herod would be there.
Mom: You know, you're right. It is a good thing we aren't going to the real one, cuz King Herod was a bad guy.

It happens more often than I blog about, but that little boy has some pretty astounding insight into things at times. He very often pipes up with answers and comments that make both of his parents stop and stare for a few seconds, while he goes on doing headstands on the couch and building fantastic Lego creations. That's our James.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Are kid special? It is really great to have them and the enjoyment of raising them.
I miss having our here making their little comments.

Anonymous said...

I can just her their little voices as you write their words. What a special family Merry Christmas and may the Lord bless your home and everyone it it

David said...

It's amazing what sticks out in kid's minds. I have a better idea of why they have such horrible nightmares at a young age. Their reality is still forming in their impressionable minds.

I love our James!

Elaine said...

I love that James is so sensitive and serious AND so adorable AND doesn't even know how adorable he is. Goggles, hats and King Herod. How I'd love to climb inside his mind for a bit.