Sunday, November 2, 2008

Virginia in the Fall

So we went on this amazing scenic drive yesterday through the Blue Ridge Mountains. And I mean amazing. The only thing was, as we were driving I couldn't stop fast enough to take the pictures I wanted to. And in some cases, even if I could have stopped, there was no place to pull over.

On our way home, out of pure curiosity, I took a few shots while I was driving (yes, I occasionally text while I drive as well). And they turned out GREAT! So now I know. And I'll have my camera ready. I hope you enjoy some of these shots from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

This was on our way home through Afton Mountain.

Are you wondering why you see the back of the van? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this shot was taken through my rear view mirror. Is that talent or what?!?!?


One more shot taken through the front windshield.

Now we'll back up to the beginning of the trip. This was the first shot I took on the way towards the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Throughout the parkway, there are numerous lookout points. The speed limit on the parkway is 45mph. There were lots of bikers and convertibles. It was a beautiful day to take a leisurely drive. The kids loved taking an occasional quick break.


The kids were bragging how they were real mountain climbers. They explored all over the exposed rock at this lookout point.


Anya was pretty brave getting near the cliff. Behind Anya is the Shenandoah Valley.

And Peter had no fear. He just knew this was a pretty cool place and he wanted to go anywhere his little legs would take him.

Mark was the bravest of all. The Melick's back in Illinois would be proud of his new found tree climbing capabilities. This is a shot you'll want to double-click on to see full-size. You'll be able to see Karen's expression that only a mother can do. Yes, this tree is on the edge of a nearly 90 degree drop-off with big boulders on the way down.

But it was a perfect climbing tree and Mark took full advantage. He's pretty excited that he can say he climbed to the very top of a tree now.

Round trip took about 3.5 hours. We'll do it again and be sure to stop at the waterfall next time.
And I couldn't complete this post without wishing my sweet wife a happy birthday! :)

3 comments:

The Peters Family said...

AWESOME shots! Reminds me of when we drove up to D.C. a few years ago.
Very beautiful.
And Happy Birthday, Karen!

Laurel said...

maybe a good bday present for your wife would have been NOT encouraging your eldest son to risk his life climbing a tree???

oh my goodness. Great pics...but HOLY COW!

Wood Gang said...

Okay Karen, now I know what you meant on the phone about PANIC! I would have been also...Oh wait, I have been many times by my "brave" rugrats! I wish I could say that as they get older they get wiser - but not sure that happens.

The pic's are beautiful - and I can't believe how brave the kids were! CRAZY!!!

Hope your day was great! I will call you back this week!