Thursday, November 20, 2008

Can God Speak Through Dreams?

This was Mark's first question to us this morning. I calmly sat down on the bed...

Dad - Yes, God can speak through dreams.

Mark - He spoke to me right before I woke up.

Wow, I thought. What is this profound message my eight year old is about to share with us?

Dad - What did He say?

Mark - Snow.

Dad - How do you know it was God?

Mark - The earth shook.

Karen asked if he had been listening to the God's Army soundtrack lately. There is a really cool song on it about snow. Turns out James was listening to it yesterday. And Mark volunteered that he had read recently in the scriptures that when God spoke to the people, the earth shook.

So we talked a little about the subconscious and how our dreams can react accordingly.

But we reassured him that God can, in fact, speak to us through dreams. Perhaps this just wasn't one of those times.

Or maybe it was...

Perhaps God was checking to see if Mark would listen if He did speak. And Mark has shown that he would.

Has God been trying to speak to you?

5 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh my goodness. What a wonderful thing that a child thinks about the reality that God speaks to man--today, in our time and that he speaks to all, even a little child. I think that is amazing. Truth is wonderful and children who understand truth can teach us alot! Thanks for sharing.

Elaine said...

And kudos to his parents who know how to teach truth and answer questions.

The Peters Family said...

how very sweet!

Anonymous said...

The only other person that can write inspirational posts like this is your Sister. You are good, David. If I could spell, I could write like both you and Laurel.

Anonymous said...

Dreams are my favorite form of communication. What a great story.