Friday, August 15, 2008

Bubbles, the miracle toy and some other stuff

This past Wednesday we went to a friend's apartment to go swimming. Before actually going to the pool we played in the apartment for a few minutes. Kids love toys most of all when they are someone elses, so even though all the toys there belonged to and were suited for a 1 year old, all five of mine had a little party.

One of the best things was a bubble wand. It looked at first like a cheap lightsaber knockoff. Small handle, long tube full of glowingish liquid. Then my friend let us in on the magic by unscrewing the handle and pulling out a bubble wand loaded and ready to be blown. I was amazed. How clever! No sticky fingers, minimal drips, no tiny wand falling into the bubble bottle never to be seen again, you know. She said they had gotten it at Walmart, so naturally when we went into town today to run some errands, we stopped the the Walmart in town.

One HOUR later we walked out with a very sad bawling James, and a few things of candy to ease the suffering of the injury. Nowhere in the whole store did they have bubbles. I know lots of toys are seasonal and they don't stock them in the winter and yada, yada, but really! Bubbles! I felt terrible because I wanted to get them bubbles. We lost ours in the move (or I might have thrown them out during one of my cleaning purges) and they have so much fun with bubbles that I really wanted to do this for them.

We headed for home and I had a last chance thought, so I swung the car around, very safely mind you, and headed for ToysRus. They didn't have anything nearly so cool as the sword thing, but they did have some regular sized bottles, so I purchased a few. Now 7 hours later after two bouts of bubble time on the deck and one in the garage due to rain, the bubbles are gone. I am shocked. I think this is a classic case of me forgetting to let them have a childhood. I had to order Anya and James into the house 6 times tonight. INTO the house, not out like normal, but in!

I have found some even cooler bubble swords online that I just might be purchasing soon. So to all parents out there who are tired and worn out and need a break. Buy bubbles. They even have machines now for $13 at Target that will blow the bubbles for you. My kids can blow them on their own, but for little ones, that would be nice. Bubbles, the miracle toy.

In other news today, we had a very brief science/religion lesson it went like this:
Anya: Mom, why are we mamamals? (note, I did not mistype, she actually said it that way)
Mom: Because we are warm blooded, and have babies and have hair all over our bodies.
Anya: okay. (don't you love the innocence of her accepting whatever I say)

James:(very quietly and uncertain) I thought we were sheep.
Mom:(smiling) Well, figuratively we are. As in Jesus Christ is our Shepard and we are his sheep, but biologically we are mammals.
James:(feeling reassured) ok!

I love that I have learned to look for little moments and questions that I can use to my advantage. I always worried when I read others stories about things like that that I would never be able to do it and now I find myself doing it often and I am grateful that I have learned how to listen for the chances.

Oh, yeah, also these pics I just had to add. We got this sleeper for Luke at Target today partly because it was just too cute and more because he needed another one. Why after three other boys I don't have warm weather sleepers in the right size I will never know. Anyway, it and he are too cute. Note the little dog heads on the feet, I don't know why I think it's adorable, but I do.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh Luke looks so adorable. He has changed and gotten older. All I could say when I same him was "Ohhhh." Do you want me to go to my Walmart and see if I can find the bubbles? Sounds like a great toy! Thanks for posting. I love to read your blog. And I LOVE that James knows we are sheep. Ilove that!

Laurel said...

I can't even stand how much I love this post...the bubbles...the "ah-ha" sheep moment for James...and LUKE!!! It's been WAY too long since I've seen him. I'm ACHING to be with your ridiculously cute kids.

LOVE YOU (and Dave will be home soon...)

Mom said...

Bubbles are great toys in deed. You had them as a child also.
Luke is so cute. He does not look like the other boys however, but we love him just them same. Love the pj also.
Isn't it great to have those teaching moments with your children. They are such precious moments.

Anonymous said...

I'm calling the airline right now to come home tonight! That pictures of Luke has made me SO homesick. He's ADORABLE!!!!!

Come, Follow Me-Music Study said...

Hey Karen, maybe David should leave more often cause we haven't heard from you like this in a very long time!! It's fun to hear all about your many ventures with your children! It's been a fun week for all of us to enjoy! Thanks for sharing your good and not so good times!

Love to the Christensen (VA) clan!