Monday, August 25, 2008

Anya is braver than Daddy

Daddy took Anya to the dentist today. "Dr. Cook...dentistry with a mother's touch." Makes you feel more at ease, right?

I was at ease. Anya kept saying she was scared (with a smile on her face) as we were driving to the dentist. She was pretty clingy as we got out of the car. I whispered to her that I had said a prayer for her and everything would be ok.

Here's a shot of her smile last Friday (to the right):

The pediatrics office was very open and friendly. The assistant that came out to get us was very welcoming and helped Anya temporarily forget that they were about to cause her great pain.

At our previous appointment, the pediatric advised us that Anya needed 6 teeth pulled....SIX! The teeth that were coming in were behind the baby teeth. They weren't pushing the baby teeth out and there just wasn't room for the permanent teeth. Because of the size of her mouth, she may need some permanent teeth pulled in the future. After today, I don't know if she'll go back!

So we go back to the operating room. We turn on The Incredibles and the assistant begins to apply the numbing agent with a q-tip. Then the pediatric came in to apply the numbing "juice." The "juice" references a shot. They gave her at least eight doses...probably more...but I lost count. After six shots, Anya couldn't feel anything anymore. But her upper lip swelled to the point I thought it was going to burst...literally. I asked if that was n-o-r-m-a-l and the assistant said, "her upper lip is kind of swollen, huh?"

I think that's the time I started to feel really hot. And the room started to move a little. Then my head got really light and I broke out in a cold sweat. But I was allowed to sit on the chair with Anya so I could be strong for her. I took a couple of breath's and kept providing Anya with encouraging comments. She really was brave.


Then the dentist pulled out the tool to extract the teeth. I moved to a chair close enough that Anya could still hold my hand. The dentist explained to Anya that she might hear a crackling sound...like Rice Krispies. By the third tooth I was having difficulty breathing and began fanning myself. The dentist noticed my reaction and told me to put my head in between my legs.

Anya was very brave.

They provided me with water. Anya got to select two prizes. I didn't get any. I sat for a moment, regained my composure, and carried Anya out to the lobby. I was fine by the time we left (after I got over paying them $200 to cause pain to my little girl...fortunately the insurance covered the other $300).


I offered to take Anya because I figured this kind of procedure required Daddy. Perhaps Mommy will go next time.

This is how our princess looks now. Her upper lip is still a little swollen...but it has come down dramatically. Anya was very brave.

We came home and she put in Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley version) and was very happy. I'm still trying to figure out why a 6 year old girl is so infatuated with Pride and Prejudice. Something about that is just very adorable to me.

4 comments:

Come, Follow Me-Music Study said...

What a cute little girl!!! I still remember having perm teeth pulled for braces and I passed out from the meds. Way to go Anya!!! You are one strong little girl! (Or should I say big girl!? you're braver than I would be!)

Sso are some of her perm teeth already coming in? Kyle will finally venture to his first dental appointment next month when our insurance finally kicks in. Now to find the right dentist!

Thanks for sharing!

Laurel said...

you are SO your father...

Anya IS very brave and adorable for so many reasons.

I'm still feeling a little sick to my stomach over the whole thing...

Jimmy&Michelle said...

Wow--talk about deja vu. This morning I took my little Sydney to the dentist, and she had 5 teeth pulled. She had an extra top front tooth, and currently has an appliance to expand her upper mouth so she can fit all of her big teeth. And as soon as she grows in the permanent teeth, she has to get braces on the top because one of her teeth is turned completely sideways. Her lip was fat for hours! Getting ready to pull the teeth took an hour, and pullling them about a minute. How is Anya now? Sydney was so much braver than me!!

Your cousin Michelle in Utah

Whacky Wheelers said...

Matthew had to go in and have a "sugar nub" taken care of. I was sitting in the corner feeling as you did . . . ready to pass out! Matthew didn't even know that he got shots!!! He even got to wear cool sunglasses during the procedure. I've decided I'm going to the pediatric dentist for myself in the future. I've also decided the David is taking him to the dentist next time . . . and the pediatrician! (We're down to four nurses and Mommy to hold him down for his shots.)