Monday, May 12, 2008

They're moving in...

Even as I post this, our old home is being moved into. It feels weird. It was our first home. Karen and I both felt a little sick to our stomachs when we heard the news. Apparently, the new residents have two young boys. So they should fit right in with the neighborhood.


It was a good home. Karen and I bought as much house as we could afford (which wasn't much) and turned it into a home. Believe me...our first home needed a lot of work:


Here's one before and after shot.

The house was overgrown with bushes that probably had not been taken care of since they were planted in the 60's.

It was a lot of fun to remove the bushes. All yews were removed!!









Maybe it's worldly of me, but I was proud of my first retaining wall.

We tried to make our entrance inviting...as opposed to the castle wall that used to barricade the front door.

We planted a garden, put in several rock beds and created flower gardens wherever we could.

And this was only the outside! We painted the entire inside, put in some crown molding, updated the ceiling fan, laid self-adhesive tile and carpet in the basement, updated our 100 amp fuse box to a 200 amp circuit breaker, and updated our bathroom (which involved removing a 400 pound cast iron tub). I'm sure I'm missing something. It was hard work...but very satisfying.

And now a young family is moving in today. I hope they'll appreciate what we did for that house. I'll never get to see the vibernum bloom in the back yard that I planted about this time last year. One of our neighbors called and said how beautiful the plants look. We miss our neighbors. We're grateful for the memories we have of Danvers, Illinois.

Here's Eric Melick (one of the best neighbors anyone could ask for) leaving us a message a few days ago:

3 comments:

Elaine said...

It WAS a very good house and you had wonderful neighbors and I can tell it's kinda sad to really have it over. I'm so glad a little family is moving in. I'm sure they will come to love it as you did. I watched the improvements you made and you should be very proud of what you did. It is a very good house and your memories will fade a bit with time but will always be there. It was a good time! Thanks for sharing the pictures again. I feel a bit sad as well.

Laurel said...

um, replaying the voicemail?
you're weird.
And I think I'll be more careful about what I say when I leave you one next time.

And btw, it's okay to be proud of that house. You totally proved you are not dad. NICE WORK!!

Anonymous said...

NOT DAD? NOT DAD? Where is the heck do you get that comment. I'll have you know I changed every light bulb in our home in Kentucky and bought a leaf rake to pick up stuff in the yard. Grandpa Woolf said to leave every home better than how you found it. Your are doing just that. Fun pictures.