Sunday, August 7, 2011

Summer Storm

Power just came back on.  I'm grateful we'll sleep with air conditioning.  We had a quick storm come through this afternoon...and it did a number on a couple of our trees.  We spent a good portion of the evening cleaning up the mess below.  I guess when you live in Virginia with the number of trees around the house like we do, you're bound to have one or two fall during a storm.  We've been fortunate for 3 years...even with the two that fell today.  No significant damage was done.  But we'll soon learn how to replace a few pieces of siding.  The branch (actually...it was the top of a dead tree) closest to the deck hit our gutter and then slid down the side of the house.  If you have any experience with siding, we'd love a pointer or two!
Along with the small pieces of siding that were torn off, the only other damage was the screen on the kitchen window.  It didn't stand a chance!  Again...extremely grateful the window wasn't broken or more significant damage wasn't done to the house.  

Unfortunately, the beloved trampoline that our kids lived on for a week is gone.  I wonder if it will be replaced...

This really is a small, rather insignificant incident compared to what could have happened...or what has happened in places like Joplin, Missouri.  Even on this small scale, I'm reminded of the force and power nature has.  When you look at the trampoline up close, it's amazing how mangled the tree made those metal bars.

I do feel bad for the kids since they lost the trampoline.  Of all places for a tree to fall! :)

And it's a good thing no one was sitting in this chair.
I borrowed a chain saw from a good neighbor.  It's now on our "must have" list of emergency preparedness items.  Do you realize how heavy trees are?!?

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Just so glad everyone is safe! There is great power in these storms. Always glad when the only damage is to "things." Love you!

Wendy said...

Yes, I do know how heavy trees are!! I'm so glad you are all safe. I'm sad about the trampoline also, my kids love ours too! Stay safe!! Love you all!

Mychael-Ann said...

What a bummer!!! Darn trees. I was just telling the kids that I read on your blog about the fun your kids were having on the tramp. So glad nothing fell on the house - sheesh!