Friday, May 8, 2009

Deal or no deal...she's worth it every time

I've said some dumb things in my short 31 years of mortality. Men, take note: When a cute girl calls because she is excited that she got flowers from a boy in the middle of the week for no apparent reason, don't giggle and say he probably got a really good deal given it's Mother's Day.

The good news is that Karen says this was the worst thing I've ever said in the 10 years she's known me. If that's the worst thing...I guess I'm doing ok. The bad news is...I said it.

The kids and I got these Tulips for Karen for Mother's Day. She emailed to thank me. And, knowing what I had said to someone else earlier this week, said she didn't even mind if I got a good deal.

Which made me think.

Generally speaking, males fail miserably when we try to communicate with females. But we try. And when words aren't adequate or we can't find the right ones, we buy them something. And...deal or no deal...she's worth it every time.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

I love that you didn't say the dumb thing to Karen but that she got the flowers. You're perfect (and yes, if that's the worst thing, you're doing pretty darn good).

Love you, little brother.
-the cute girl who is still excited...and now happy to realize the boy is so thrifty!

Anonymous said...

hahaha!! Oh, I bet I know who you said this too. :)

Elaine said...

You're A-OK David. You did good. And a little slip-up in comments can easily be forgiven. I've never known anyone who tried harder. This MOM loves her SON.

tall dad said...

Live and learn. You are good and a blessing to all of us. Plus you have a great mother of your children, great sisters and a super mom.