Thursday, February 12, 2009

I've seen him on TV

And now Jason Wright was in our home. He's a political guru and an author (not about politics). He's written four books. And he came to a book club hosted by Karen to talk about "The Wednesday Letters." I think that's the first time a famous person has stepped inside our home. Kinda cool.

And so was he. Here's right after we met. A little awkward 'cuz I didn't even know the guy. But he and my sister Laurel are good friends so we had some bonding connection. Still a bit weird. But he pulled out his Blackberry so he could take a picture of us for Laurel...so it created a good excuse to pull out our camera. Here's the picture at the end of the night. Still, I had only known Jason for a couple of hours...but we had bonded. I have a fear of spiders...he has a fear of snakes. When I kept asking him questions even though I'm not a member of the book club he mentioned more than once how much I reminded him of Laurel.
If you haven't read his books, they come highly recommended. His second book was "Christmas Jars." It's a quick read and very moving. "The Wednesday Letters" is unrealistically possible as Karen coined the phrase tonight. Jason said that what inspires him is watching people (with a little eavesdropping here and there). He takes a real conversation or a real event and creates a story out of it. "The Wednesday Letters" came about from him hearing about a couple's "what if" conversation regarding a tragedy that would probably never happen...but could happen. He took that one conversation and created an incredible story that is founded on the principles of the Atonement.
-------
Jason has a couple of books coming out in the next year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up on the New York Times bestseller list as his previous books have done. "Recovering Charles," his fourth book, is still on the list after 22 or 23 weeks.

It was an enjoyable evening! In order, Tiffany, Beth, Karen, Jason, Ann, Beth, and Julie.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

You know, the "Laurel" in "Wednesday Letters" is named after me (really, she is). Originally her husband was named "David" but I told him it creeped me out...so he changed the name to Jack...the name of my imaginary husband...

I love that you finally met him. He'll probably like you more than me now, and I'm okay with that.

Mom said...

That is so cool! I received his book Christmas Jars for Christmas and am reading it.
I am really enjoying it.