Sunday, January 27, 2008

Moving Day


So we made it to Charlottesville, Virginia a few weeks ago. More specifically Lake Monticello which is in Palmyra which is near Charlottesville. Regardless, it's absolutely beautiful here with the Blue Ridge Mountains at our doorstep. Depending on the route I take to work, I pass Thomas Jefferson's home...The Monticello...on a regular basis. As I leave work each day, I look up to see Carter's Mountain which neighbors The Monticello. And there's a good spot during the drive where you can see most of the valley in which Charlottesville was built. But I don't want to talk this area up too much and set your expectations too high for when you come to visit us. But I highly recommend you visit.

Have you ever had a moving company move you? The amount of paper they put in each box is ridiculously safe! It's like a practical joke someone might do during a birthday or for a christmas present where a huge box is given to you but after sorting through all of the crushed paper you finally see something as small as a gift certificate at the bottom. So as you unpack boxes, there is what seems to be like an infinite amount of paper of which you must dispose.

Karen had a great idea.

She invited the kids to help...and for every paper they folded into tiny squares so we could pack as many as possible into garbage bags, they earned one minute of movie time. I've never seen Mark and Anya rush so quickly to work.

And when James saw their excitement he jumped right in.



They watched High School Musical several times that night!
In one of our future posts, we'll have to include a video of our children's performances!












3 comments:

Sarah said...

Karen -- GREAT idea! I'll have to remember that... one minute of movie time for every paper folded. Do you remember when we had that huge rock pile and some of the rocks got into the grass under the swing? I remember getting paid $.01 for every rock that I picked up and put in a bucket. I don't think I made it very far...

Laurel said...

Um, can I earn... just time in general...if I fold tissue paper into small squares?

Mom said...

I well remember the amount of paper in those boxes. We saves some of it for the kids to use for coloring pictures.
I'm glad that you are getting help from the kids. It is so good for them to learn to work.