Friday, April 8, 2011

Worth Recording

I stayed late at work studying for my next exam. As I talked with Karen on my drive home, she mentioned that Anya was finishing up the dishes. I walked into the house and noticed Anya reading a book while standing in the middle of the kitchen. Dishes covered the table and filled the sink.

I smiled at her as we said our hello's. Then I asked, "Aren't you supposed to be doing the dishes?"

Anya said as well as any bothered teenage girl, "I KNOW."

I looked at her, surprised by her attitude. Then she muttered, "You can be so annoying." I asked, "what?" and she repeated her comment.

I looked at her again with disappointment and bewilderment.

Then she sighed as only Anya can. And she confessed, "it's been such a hard night."

I gave her a big hug as she tried to keep her composure. It was so sweet. She is such a good girl...and even when she wants to be rude and defiant, her tender spirit knows that's not right. It's an internal struggle. But her spirit always prevails.

I love our Anya!

3 comments:

The Olsen Clan said...

Scaaaarrryyy. Sounds like you handled it well. I cannot believe how much she has grown!! You guys are so blessed.

Laurel said...

oh she is sweet. so sweet.

I love you guys. can't wait to see you next weekend.

xoxo

Elaine said...

I love our Anya and I love all of you. Only 4 days!