Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Dreaded Question

I cannot even recall how many times I have been asked this

"So, How's home schooling going? What are you guys learning?"

Yeah, um, lately especially all we have been able to do is stutter through something about taking a lot of breaks. Life happens. Most of the time I deal pretty well with that, but sometimes I get to feeling really guilty because I think of everything my kids don't know. As luck would have it the next thought to follow the guilty feeling one is a reminder that they are in fact learning all the time, and are making great leaps and bounds very much without my interference. Besides, who's to say what each of them actually needs to know?

Anyway, here is a bit of what we HAVE done lately. I figured one childhood rite of passage is making a shoebox diorama. I let them pick anything they wanted and they came up with some good stuff. Here is Mark's, surprise-it's Star Wars related:) Anya is a true girly girl, horse loving and all. I think they are grouped by family, not sure where she got such a vital need for family units, but it's a great perspective to have.
James, my James. If ever there were a child who thinks outside the box (yes, I SO meant that pun) it would be him. He did a 3d model of our house, complete with all the snow on the ground outside right now. I think the cowboy and marshall by the house are David and I, while the cowboy and Daniel Boone looking fellow are Mark and Anya playing in the snow. Apparently we need more lincoln log figures, as the rest of the family had to be proclaimed "inside the house."

To All Knuttis: Some things are genetic, don't know why or how, but clearly they are. For those outside our random little gene pool, this is a picnic, inside the house, and yes my kids are nerds, isn't it great?!


Last, but only because she's a princess is my dress up doll. Really half or at least a quarter of the fun of having a baby girl is dressing her up in ridiculously cute outfits. It's hard to see in this picture, but she is actually wearing little baby leggings, and they are super cute with her little pink cord mary janes.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

Looks to me like a house full of activity and learning. Good job! You're doing great!

tall dad said...

This grandpa thanks the Lord for what you are doing for my grandchildren. They all know more about the US flag than I do. And those leggings on your doll, what could be cuter. Thank you.

Laurel said...

for a dreaded question, you have a pretty darn great answer.

oh, i love these kids.

(and don't use what dad knows as the standard...you know that, right?...grin.)

xoxo

Mychael-Ann said...

I'll make sure to ask you for a progress report each time I see you (which may not be too often anymore since we live in the artic now). Once I read an article by a homeschooler titled "The Baby is the Lesson" or something like that. She talked of feeling overwhelmed with a new baby and had let "school" fall by the wayside a bit but then realized all the life lessons her children were learning by helping more and watching her care for this new baby. Anyway, I'm not doing her justice, but you get my drift. I loved the dioramas.

Mom said...

I would say that home schooling is going great. Everyday is a life lesson.
Keep up the good work.
Eliza is a doll and yes, dressing up your little girls is the greatest.