Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I love homeschooling

This is one of those unexpected and great days for homeschooling.

A few weeks ago David helped out an older gentleman in our ward by taking him to pick up his daughter at the airport for a holiday visit. (The best part of that was Anya's very concerned query as to why the man let his little girl go somewhere alone. We reassured her that his little girl was all grown up and just coming to visit, that was ok with her.) She has since sent David a thank you note and all were well gratified.

Today UPS stopped and dropped off a large styrofoam box. How odd, I thought! I found it was a thank you cheesecake from this sweet sister for David's kindness to them. What I found to be even cooler(excuse the pun) was the dry ice that was used to keep the cheesecake frozen during shipping. Can we say science experiment!

So I pulled out my good old, Backyard Scientist book and located the instructions for experimenting with dry ice. We gathered the supplies and headed out into the garage for some fun. They of course loved it. We got to listen to the metal tongs scream when I picked up the dry ice, we watched water and dry ice sublimate to make, well, fog and we got to see how carbon dioxide gets trapped in soap bubbles when you add liquid detergent to the water with the dry ice. I think they learned something, but I know they had fun.


And if all else fails, we did learn how to spell our last name yesterday, so that's gotta count for something!






4 comments:

Elaine said...

And that's why you're such a great homeschooling Mom! You see lessons in everyday things. What a great, great science lesson!

Anonymous said...

I can just hear my little munchkins scream with delight at these new discoveries. May you both be blessed for your ability to make life so alive.

Laurel said...

um, are you still accepting students? (love the pic of Mark pointing...it's like he got that from his aunt laurel =)...)

Wendy said...

Funny, I was going to comment on the pic of Mark pointing...Love those long fingers! Maybe he would be interested in taking piano lessons?
I bet they had a great time. Way to go MOM!